Spending time with friends and enjoying their many interests and talents is one of the true joys of life. Backyard BBQ's, Saturday night game night, and your friends' birthday celebrations – all fantastic events to spend with friends and family!
If you live in any of the mountain resort communities, you probably have friends that are real estate brokers. We all know multiple brokers we’ve met while skiing, biking, or socializing. Surely one of our broker friends could help us sell our mountain home.
But there are some serious considerations before deciding to cross into the business relationship of hiring a friend to represent you in the sale of your home.
What happens when you sign a contract to sell your home with the help of a friend? Your home is naturally connected to your personality and ego, as it most likely has many memories well beyond simply windows, brick, and mortar. By combining those emotions with the emotions of a friendship, you could be layering on unnecessary stress during the sale of your home. Your home may be among the largest investments you make in your life, and is a an important financial transaction.
To lessen the stress of selling your home and make the home sales experience as smooth as possible, it’s important you have a seasoned professional in your corner. Regardless of your relationship, be sure you hire a broker who has solid business experience and can help take the emotion out of the process to focus on the critical tasks at hand.
Ask yourself a few questions before deciding which broker will best help you list your mountain home for sale:
- What experience does your broker have in this market? Hire a broker who knows your market well, can compare your home with similar homes nearby, and can highlight your home’s features important to most regional buyers.
- Will your feelings be hurt when your broker has staging and upgrade suggestions for your home to enhance its marketability? Remember, you want to make your home most appealing to buyers. When your broker suggests making edits and changes that may have personal memories attached to them, will you be able to take your friend seriously and not feel picked on or embarrassed?
- How comfortable will you feel pushing your broker for better marketing, more showings, and potential buyer feedback? It can be difficult and awkward to ask a friend to go above and beyond for you – it’s much easier to ask for those things from a professional in the field without all the strings attached of a close friendship or the quid pro quo of someone you socialize with frequently.
- Does your broker work with a large firm that will give your property the best visibility among potential buyers? Being part of a substantial and networked organization is one of the key benefits of hiring an experienced member of a real estate team. You want your home viewed by the largest market of potential buyers possible and marketing power and reach are critical to the success of your home being sold quickly and for top dollar.
- When it comes time to review an offer and a contract, will you be comfortable disagreeing with your broker? You shouldn’t have to worry about insulting or disagreeing with your broker, although you want to consider and respect their advice. It can be difficult to uncouple your personal relationship from the financial transaction of selling your home, but it’s always your decision on how to move forward.
We, at Coldwell Banker Mountain Properties, have known too many people who have strained their friendships over business real estate transactions. Consider whether you’d be better off with a neutral broker who has your best business interests in mind when representing your home on the market. And confidently move ahead with your decision.
Let us help you to sell your home quickly, for top dollar, by working with Coldwell Banker Mountain Properties. Contact us today!
Download our Seller's Guide!
Fill out the form below. This free guide walks you through all the steps needed to sell your home quickly and for top dollar.
Need Help Selling Your Home?
The experts at Coldwell Banker Mountain properties can help! Contact us today to get this party started.
By Coldwell Banker